GUYS. I baked for the first time in my apartment today and I made quite possibly the best cookies around. Brown sugar cookies! These things are like normal sugar cookies, but made with brown sugar. You even roll them in brown sugar. SO GOOD AND SO FLAVORFUL. It’s so wonderful to be baking again 🙂 Possibly going to experiment with my food processor tonight after I get home from work, too!!
Brown Sugar Cookies
What you need:
- 14 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1.5 cups brown sugar, lightly packed, plus more for rolling
- 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Stir butter, brown sugar, and salt together in a large bowl with a nice big spoon
- Add the egg and vanilla and stir well until combined
- Add flour, baking soda, and baking powder and continue to stir. The dough may be thick, but stir until it comes together well and all of the ingredients are mixed
- Refrigerate the dough for at least 45 minutes
- Preheat the oven to 350 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Using a heaping tablespoon of dough, roll it into a ball and then roll the ball into some brown sugar poured onto a plate
- Place the dough onto the baking sheet and press the cookies down with a a fork (make an X), like the picture. You want them to be probably about 1/2 inch thick
- Bake for 8-11 minutes, depending on your oven. Do not overcook, but wait until the edges are crispy because the middle will be soft and chewy.
This recipe is adapted from Serious Eats.