So you know how I was talking about it being hot and stuff? Well it is getting hotter. But I live in Texas and that fact alone makes up for any complaints I have about how hot my apartment gets when I cook. But, the salad I have for you today requires no heat and is very cool, refreshing, filling, meatless, gluten free, healthy, and just about any other positive adjective you can think of. I know I’m late to the whole chickpea being used for things other than hummus party, but I’ve eaten chickpeas in way way or another for 4 dinners in the last 10 I’ve been home to make. You’ll notice that the recipe is less specific than usual – that’s because it’s all about the flavors you like!! Cooking is a release of creativity. I think tomatoes would be delicious in this and maybe bell pepper, too.
Avocado Chickpea Salad
Serves: 1 Total Time: 10 minutes
What you need:
- 1 regular avocado, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cucumber, cut sliced and quartered
- 1 15 oz. can of chickpeas (or garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
- 1/2 bunch green onions, chopped – I use the whole onion and it’s really just about preference
- 2-3 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- black pepper, to taste (I use close to 1 teaspoon, but I love pepper!!) – just make sure you sprinkle it around the bowl, don’t dump it all in one place to prevent clumping
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/4 cup feta cheese crumbles
- Combine avocado, cucumber, chickpeas, green onions, cilantro, pepper, and lime juice in a bowl. Stir well until combined
- Add the feta cheese and stir again before stuffing in your face 🙂
This recipe is adapted from Two Peas and Their Pod.