I used to hate eggs. Like really hate eggs. Recently however, I have eaten some really good breakfast tacos where I’ve been too lazy to take the eggs off. My eyes have been reopened to the incredible possibilities eggs provide! Plus, it’s a great source of protein and they’re super healthy. The key is seasoning them correctly and cooking them well. I have a recipe that is great for breakfast, lunch, or light dinner – just serve it up with some bacon and fruit! If you love avocado and some tex-mex flavors, you gotta make this ASAP. Plus it’s way less than 350 calories, does it get healthier than that?
Prep Time: 2-3 minutes Cook Time: 10-15 minutes
- 3 tablespoons bell pepper, diced
- 3 tablespoons onion, diced
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites (note** you can use 3 whole eggs, 2 egg yolks, more egg whites, etc, make it your own!!)
- salt, to taste (I used 1/4 teaspoon or so)
- pepper, to taste (I used about 1/2 teaspoon)
- chili powder, to taste (I used at least 1/2 teaspoon)
- 1/2 cup avocado, diced (about 1 small avocado)
- 1 tablespoon shredded reduced fat cheese
- salsa, to top (salsa verde is really good!)
- In a medium skillet, saute the pepper and onion over medium heat for about 5 minutes or until they begin to brown and soften
- While the veggies are cooking, mix the egg, egg whites, salt, pepper, and chili powder in a small bowl – scramble well
- Once the veggies are done, add the eggs and scramble, mixing with the peppers and onions
- Put the egg and vegetable mixture together and cook until the eggs really begin to brown, but not burn!
- Add the avocado and cheese, stir well
- Once the cheese is melty and the avocado is warm, remove from the heat and top with salsa!
This recipe is adapted from Skinny Mom.